Saturday, January 14, 2012

I made vanilla ice cream


Sander died. To ease my sorrows, I drank root beer floats and watched The Backyardigans.

I made the floats with homemade vanilla ice cream, A&W root beer, and chocolate shavings.

Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
Source: This recipe is from the America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook. I lost the original recipe, so I had to rely on muscle memory when I was making this ice-cream. Not bad.

1 1/2 cup whipping cream (375 mL)
1 1/2 cup whole milk (375 mL)
3/4 cup sugar (155 g)
4 egg yolks (75 g)
pinch of salt
1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
2 Tbsp rum 

1. Combine cream, milk, 1/2 cup of the sugar, salt, and vanilla bean and seeds into a medium saucepan set over medium heat.

2. While the milk mixture is heating, whisk the egg yolks and the rest of the sugar in a bowl until thick, pale, and forms ribbons. It should be thick enough that you can spell the word "Cat" in cursive with the ribbon.

3. Heat the milk mixture until tiny bubbles are forming on the sides of the saucepan. Remove the saucepan from the heat, but keep the stove on.

4. While continuously whisking the egg mixture, slowly drizzle in a cupful of the milk mixture into the egg mixture. You are tempering the egg yolks with the hot milk.

5. Slowly whisk the tempered egg mixture into the saucepan of the milk mixture. Replace the saucepan back on the heat. Continuously stirring, heat the mixture over medium heat until it coats the back of a wooden spoon.

6. Strain the custard over a bowl with a fine-meshed strainer set on top. Continuously whisk the custard for a couple minutes to cool it down (you can put the bowl over another bowl filled with ice to speed up the cooling).

7. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Using a knife, poke the plastic wrap with several holes.

8. Refridgerate the custard overnight.

9. When ready to use, whisk the rum into the custard. Pour the custard into the prepared canister of your ice cream machine. Churn according to manufacturer's instructions.

10. Transfer the ice cream to a container, cover the top with a piece of plastic wrap, and freeze until firm (a few hours).

4 comments:

  1. Yum! Welcome back, Cat!

    I can't for the life of me find our ice cream maker - I know the bowl is frozen in our fridge, but I don't know where the churner is! Fortunately it's not exactly ice cream weather or else I would be extra bummed that I can't make this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet Catherine!

    I am organizing a Calgary Food Blogger Bake Sale in February to raise money for Brown Bagging for Calgary's Kids and was wondering if you would be interested in donating some baked goods, time and/or money to the event.

    If so, please shoot me an email at vwctsui [at] gmail [dot] com and I will send over the deets!

    Thanks!

    Vincci

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes yes yes please! I probably won't be making ice cream sandwiches, but I'm sure I'll think of something!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Catherine,
    Great post on Vanilla Bean Ice Cream! Please e-mail me at natdecants@nataliemaclean.com. It’s about wine of course :)
    Cheers,
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete